Candlelighters Continuing Education Scholarship 2024-2025
About Candlelighters Scholarship
- One $2,500 scholarship.
- One $1,000 scholarship.
- One $500 scholarship.
Application Timeline For 2024-2025 Academic Year
February 19: Opening of the application period.
April 15: Scholarship applications due.
May 13: All applicants notified of status. Finalists are contacted.
May 27-30: Scholarship finalist Interviews.
June 3: Scholarship recipients notified.
July 15-31: Scholarship Awards sent to colleges.
Who is Eligible?
- The applicant must be a resident of Oregon or Southwest Washington.
- The applicant must have or have had cancer before age 21.
- Applicant must be pursuing an undergraduate, technical, or vocational education.
- The applicant must be a graduating high school senior or an enrolled post-secondary student at the time of application.
- Candlelighters scholarship recipients can only receive the scholarship once. Applicants who were previously declined may re-apply in subsequent years, as long as they are still attending school and meet applicant criteria.
- If a student is awarded the scholarship but does not attend school, the scholarship award will be reviewed, which may result in its forfeiture. In that case, the scholarship would be awarded to a runner-up applicant.
- This scholarship process and the award, itself, are reviewed annually and are subject to the availability of funds from Candlelighters for Children with Cancer.
Before you begin the online application form below:
- Review the eligibility requirements (above) to make sure you qualify for the scholarship.
- Prepare the required documentation (letter of recommendation, and responses to the written prompts)
- Finalists Interviews: The scholarship committee will identify 3-5 finalists. Finalists will be contacted by May 13th to schedule an interview with the committee the 4th week of May (27-30)
Statement of Financial Need
- How do you plan to finance your education?
- Have you received other financial aid or scholarships? If so, from what source?
- Are there any other family members currently pursuing post-secondary education?
- What would be the financial impact if you do not receive the scholarship?
- Please provide any additional financial information you would like us to consider.
Letter of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation must come from a professor or an academic advisor/counselor that answers the following questions:
- How does the applicant show their commitment to pursuing their goals?
- Please include anything you think would be helpful for us to know about the applicant when considering them for the scholarship award.
Letter must be typed and dated.
Short Answer Essay Questions
Please answer the following short prompts (one to two paragraphs per prompt, max). Prompts will be scored based on relevancy and depth. We encourage applicants to take time to reflect before submitting the answers to each question.
- How has your experience with cancer influenced your perspective on life?
- What drives you to further your education?
- Why is it important to you to pursue your goals?
- Have you been involved with Candlelighters or other cancer organizations? If so, please describe your experience. (Optional).
Scholarship recipients will be asked to submit an image and write-up on their upcoming education goals to be shared with the candlelighters community on our website and social media.
The following may be requested, but not required from scholarship recipients. willingness to participate in the below will not be weighed as part of scholarship selection:
- Awardees may be asked to attend or speak at a Candlelighters event in person or by video, to highlight our organization and the impact of our scholarship program. A short write-up on the impact of the scholarship and picture mid-year for marketing and communications.
- An opportunity to be named a Candlelighters Scholarship Ambassador and engage with the community via a blog post, the Luminaries youth group and a video for social media.
The application form will be live on February 19, 2024.